Friday, July 16, 2004

WILOG Readies Free Version of Its Rules Engine. Claims new Eclipse plug-in allows logic to be updated without code tinkering

Claims new Eclipse plug-in allows logic to be updated without code tinkering
Online retailers constantly change the rules that govern their e-commerce applications. But offering short-term promotions, such as giving platinum-level customers a 10 percent discount at checkout, causes headaches for developers, who have to go in and alter the application’s source code accordingly.

To ease that process, ILOG Inc. made available last month a free, scaled-down version of its business rules technology. An Eclipse plug-in, Business Rule Studio Developer Edition is based on the company’s JRules software, launched in 1997, said ILOG’s director of industry marketing, Henry Bowers.

Changes such as discount offers appear trivial, but the tasks associated with them are time-consuming to complete, said Bowers. The developer has to crack open the code, change one or more files, repackage them for deployment, and test the updated application. “Did I break anything? Is the change I made effective?” said Bowers. And the next day, the discount might jump from 10 percent to 15 percent, he said.

Read complete article. . .

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I realize the promotions example was just that, an example. But, shouldn't a programmer take that into consideration when creating an application? I mean, that is just common sense. And there are some great e-commerce engines out there already that handle dynamic promotions for customer groups - even some Java based ones like MerchantSpace.

My point is, better examples are often needed to prove the usefullness of a product that costs 20k /per processor.

Ayoye said...

Recycling is good, if you are looking to sell your old items go to one of thesetele announcetele announce it's better for all of us to recycle what we don't use anymore. read why on my blog, if you don't like this idea, maybe someone else will.

Anonymous said...

One good resource for erp software and many more free software alternatives is Software4YourSuccess.com
Yes it is my site and I would love for you to drop by for a second. From there you will have free access to several of my products such as The Marketing Toolbar (which is goldmine of information on how to do things quickly and on the cheap, thus saving you time and money).
Also for webmasters I have created Webmaster Wizards, which will help you with almost every aspect of putting code on your site from things such as legal and privacy disclaimers to popunders. I have so much content and free software there I could fill up this whole blog, so check it out Thanks, Sincerely Rob Rudd

Anonymous said...

I found your site looking for design michigan site southwest web and thought I'd just say Hi. website design bathurst

Anonymous said...

Very cool blog you got! I just added you to my bookmarks!

I have a great article resource you might want to check out.

George said...

business software downloadInstantly Create Your Own Highly Lucrative JVbusiness software download