Thursday, July 28, 2005

Why "Eclipse Developer's Journal" and Why Now?

Source: itsolutions.sys-con.com

Summary:

EDJ's Editor-in-Chief Introduces World's First Independent Magazine Devoted to the Eclipse Ecosystem

When I was first asked to take on the role of Editor in Chief for Eclipse Developer's Journal (EDJ) I naturally asked myself this same question. Why do we need a journal dedicated to Eclipse right now?

I believe there are two main answers: 1. the community is large and growing, and 2. the community would benefit from a magazine focused exclusively on the Eclipse ecosystem.

While I searched the Net I found several existing outlets to talk about Eclipse and its related technologies, but none of them are focused exclusively on Eclipse and the community around it. So I said yes and here I am introducing the magazine, which we aim to make the best online resource for Eclipse anywhere on the Web.

To get an idea of how big the community is, I did a bit of poking around and found the following tidbits. Eclipse 3.0 was released on 25 June, 2005 and has been downloaded roughly 1.64 million times. The 3.1 download challenge has hit the 825,00 mark in just over 30 days. That is more than 2 million downloads in 13 months. The 2005 EclipseCon conference was sold out and several new Strategic Developers joined the project. There are currently 28 subprojects with several more in the proposal phase. The bottom line is that the Eclipse ecosystem is huge and growing. The ecosystem will benefit from having an independent magazine devoted to the various aspects of Eclipse and I’m looking forward to EDJ becoming that source.

With that being said I would like to spend the remainder of this introductory editorial on sharing my vision with you on how this thing known as EDJ will start, as well as some of the interesting directions I’d like to take it in the future. And as always I welcome your feedback on what we cover.

Read complete article. . .

No comments: